We currently have 2 open position in the Melbourne office.
1. Research Assistant Position- Climate Action MOOC
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) development support – 6 week internship
Climate Action is a massive open online course (MOOC) produced by the SDG Academy with Professor Jeffrey Sachs as the lead faculty. The course introduces some of the key concepts and challenges underpinning the current global dialogue on how to address climate change as a planet. In particular, the technical solutions available to address climate change are presented. The course looks at the role of private business, local government, and innovation to reduce global emissions. The course is free and open to the general public and available through the SDG Academy. No course credit will be granted for completing the course, and Columbia course credit cannot be obtained from taking it.
The SDG Academy is seeking a student to provide staff support to the Climate Action course as a “Research Assistant”. Responsibilities include helping to edit raw footage for the course, and managing the design and release of course materials, including assessments, quizzes and background reading materials.
The Research Assistant will be expected to work 15-20 hours/week, and will be responsible for:
- Support the faculty in reviewing and editing the chapters of the course, including helping fact check the course content
- Support the team in preparing background materials and reading materials for each chapter
- Support the team in preparing quizzes, assessments, and evaluation policy for the course
- Prepare a communication strategy in collaboration with the course instructors to promote and market the course
- The position is open to graduate students with the requisite skills, preferably PhD or post doc students
- Familiarity with energy technologies and their implications for broader climate change, sustainable development, environmental sustainability, and other relevant disciplines
- Highly organized and responsive
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Interest in online education and MOOCs
- Experience with MOOC platforms and/or computer programming preferred
- Fluency in Spanish and/or French preferred
Duration: January 1st – February 15th (w/ possibility of extension dependent on enrollment and date of launch)
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB December 26th with subject line “Climate Action MOOC Applicant_[Your Name]”.
2. Digital Communications Associate
Part time communications support position – 3 month appointment with potential for extension
The Online Engagement intern will work closely with SDSN’s Associate Director in liaising and supporting SDSN Youth, a global virtual network. Additionally, the intern will assist with SDSN’s social media, communications, events and administrative tasks as needed.
Estimated weekly breakdown:
10 Hours- SDSN Youth support
10 Hours- Communications support
10 Hours- SDSN Social Media
10 Hours- Events support
This internship is a part time position with possibility of extension pending funding and performance. The intern will play a critical role in a small management team and gain valuable experience within an international expert advisory network. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who recognizes the power of media in mainstreaming sustainable development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with SDSN-Y Global Coordinator and Executive Committee members, field inquiries and review proposals from members
- Liaise with UN youth efforts and agencies; attend relevant workshops and meetings
- Assist with recruitment, membership management, communications, and general operations; support in organizing local event and workshops
- Assist with Identifying appropriate partnership with New York based organizations through projects and programming; update partnerships database
- Social media: assist SDSN administer to monitor SDSN and post-2015 news, post and curate social channels and livetweet at SDSN events.
- Outreach: support for project/event specific campaigns, targeted partner outreach
- Administrative and events support as needed
The ideal candidate has experience working in sustainable development, youth engagement and/or communications. The candidate must have exceptional writing, drafting, and oral communication skills. The candidate should be able to manage multiple projects and assignments at the same time, flexible in responding to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment, and work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Familiarity with WordPress (with HTML literacy), Google Analytics, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, MailChimp
- Quick to assess and adopt new online tools, attention to detail, eye for innovative ways to share SDSN’s work
- Experience in framing of academic or scientific writing for public, non-technical audiences
- Interested in media, journalism, user experience and/or digital trends
- Experience with design (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) and video editing (iMovie, Premiere Pro) tools a plus
- Experience with youth organizing and/or the UN system a plus
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by COB January 5th with subject line “Comms Associate Applicant_[Your Name]”.